Thursday, September 15, 2011

Letter to Eavan Boland

Dear Eavan Boland,

     The reason for this letter is to inform you of a personal connection that I have made with your poem "It's a Woman's World." After reading this poem, I started reflecting on a time when I felt so alone; a time when I felt so unsecure about myself. It was a day like any other; however, I had a sorrow feeling inside me. I sat down and started to think and in between I asked myself, "Who am I?"

     My parents are Mexicans. My parents descend from the other side of the border; however, I was born and raised in this side of the line. I am a U.S. citizen. I am what many call a Chicano; which in other words, a Mexican-American. Growing up with diverse cultures, it's hard for me to proclaim my nationality. Sometimes I feel more of an American-Mexican. I am bilingual and bicultural. I'm seen as an American to Mexicans and a Mexican to Americans. I'm stuck in between these two ethicities, but in fact I am none of them. Here in America, I'm not accepted for having some Latino culture. Over at Mexico, Mexicans don't accept me for having light skin. My life in a way has felt indifferent.

     For a long time I've asked myself, why are there so much prejudice people? Why can't they learn that we are all the same? Who should we blame, the parents or the kids? Well, after reading this poem, everything was clear to me. This modern day society is and perhaps always will be corrupted. People are just going to have to deal with the fact that there is no such thing as a perfect world. Now that I think about it, having a perfect world would probably make life very boring. Perhaps this is why our lifes are filled with mysteries.

Sincerely,
Jose Segura

1 comment: