Monday, October 10, 2011

Progressions 2/Assignment 1

                                                    The Road Not Taken


TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


            The poem above is an excerpt written by the poet Robert Frost in the year 1920. The moral meaning behind this poem is to follow your own path because sometimes certain decisions can be life-changing. In the poem, Frost comes to a fork in which two paths appear in front of him. Frost wishes that he could take both of them; however, he could only take one. The roads in the poem symbolize life and the decision-making symbolizes destiny. Frost chooses to take the road that is less traveled. He chooses to leave the other one for another time. Frost choosing his own destiny is what caused his life to change. Frost then says that he doubts  he will ever get a chance to take the other road. The reason why Robert Frost shares this poem is to explain to us that in the real life, there are always going to be decisions that can't be changed. You will always wonder what the other choice may have brought you.

            After reading this passage, I began to realize that there is a connection between the message of the poem and myself. Throughout my life I've deled with many decision-making; however, there is only a specific one that has changed my way of thinking and living. This decision was chosen after I graduated from high school. In my case, the end of my high school years represents the fork in which Frost found himself before choosing his own path. In this situation, the two paths that laid in front of me were, (a) to get a job or (b) to further my education.

            I saw the large crowd of people that followed path A; therefore, I chose to take the road less traveled. I wanted to be different from the others, and just like Frost, I chose my own destiny. If it wasn't for this decision, I would have never experienced the challenges of a University. I would've probably stayed in that comfort zone and never make a difference in my life.The outcome of my decision is yet to come. Unlike Robert Frost, I do not doubt that I will ever get the chance to take the other road because once I complete path B and get my recognition, I will connect with a less traveled path A.

Here is my visual interpretation of the poem:

Follow your own path.

1 comment:

  1. Good work! Your visual is good too. When you get a job, you will have a university education so it will not be the same road that you would have taken. It will be much different.
    mm

    ReplyDelete