Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mini Essay 2

The City of Hope

            Many people think of Los Angeles as a bad environment to live, while others think the complete opposite. The media is such a very confusing appeal for many people. It has its own face towards society. It portrays negative thoughts towards this city to the rich, and it portrays the complete opposite to the poor. The media has a hypocritical mindset. It never sticks with one point of view. It is only people like me that have fully experienced this city that could make a final statement.

            The fact that the city looks like a mess, doesn't mean that all of L.A. is the same. There are some locations within this city that are nice-looking. I believe that every city not only in this nation, but in others also, have their different sides. They all have the new side and they all have their old side; just like we have our old side that most people consider the ghetto such as McArthur Park and South Central for example, New York deals with the same thing. It has its new side such as Manhattan the place where many movies take place whenever it deals with a chick flick love stories, and it also has the old side which most commonly is referred to as the Bronx; which is where violent movies with the theme of gangs would take place in. Despite of what the media has to say; despite of what others may think about my city, nothing changes my thoughts towards it. It might be a city with a lack of fashion; however, it is a city with hope. It has the power to change a person's mentality once you fully experience it.

            In the story Only Heaven by Marjorie Gelhorn Sa'adah, there is a portion that mentions luck within this city. She says that "sometimes you would just consider yourself lucky." This grabbed my attention and from then on began reflecting on it. I never took the values that this city has into consideration. This city unlike others has an enormous amount of resources to offer. It's given me the opportunity to complete my studies up till High School and also the opportunity of currently experiencing the "college life." It's given my family the opportunity to become not only residents of the United States, but also citizens.

            Most of my childhood was spent complaining about my environment. I used to spent time thinking why I was the one with bad luck; why was it me the one who had to live in an ugly location. I was very dubious. It is until now that I comprehend that luck is not defined by what the area looks like, but for what it has to offer. This city has done so much for me. Right now I am in other words, going to school with a free admition. My fee is already taken care of by others thanks to the financial resources that this city has. Now that I think about it, I am the one that should consider myself lucky. I’ve seen the world in a different perspective.

            Let this city be a part of your life. You can’t go wrong with L.A. It has so much for you to explore. It has so many paths to discover. This is a city with hope. This is a city of miracles; this is perhaps the reason why this is called “the city of angels.”

Enjoy...

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts here. Nice video too, but... where is your neighborhood? Where are the real people of LA?
    mm

    ReplyDelete